This winter, I went in for a facial at Mzia Shiman in New York City to help reboot my dry, dull, clogged skin. When it came to the mask part of the facial, Mzia applied a potent saturated sheet mask containing brightening, hydrating and soothing ingredients to my face that was left on for 15 to 20 minutes. I’m used to facials with masks painted on, but once the sheet mask was taken off, my skin was left plump, dewy, brighter and without a flake in sight. I was hooked.
Sheet masks were big in Korea and now you can spot them just about anywhere. They come in single use packets individually wrapped, infused with highly concentrated serums that deliver intense hydration. Some are made of cotton, micro-fiber, hydro-gel or other natural materials. They go on the entire face (you’ll look like Jason from Friday the 13th) and are left on for 10 to 30 minutes. Once you peel off the mask, you rub in the remaining solution into the skin and follow with your favorite serum and moisturizer, if you even need it. These masks are perfect for travel and require no cleanup. Plus, they tackle a wide range of problems—dullness, moisture loss, clogged pores, aging skin—and work for all skin types. You can use them 1 to 3 times a week depending on skin concerns. Seriously, they work wonders and I don’t think I’ll be using masks in a jar anytime soon.
Here are some great sheet mask’s that tackle a variety of skin concerns:
1. Wilma Schumann Hydra-Gel Mask ($39 for four) — I like how these come in a pack of different formulations or you can buy them individually. Each hydra-gel mask is packed in foil, containing hyaluronic acid and ingredients such as red wine, deep sea soil, aloe vera and collagen.
2. Jurlique Purely Age-Defying Firming Treatment Mask ($65 for five) — This mask treats the face and neck with vitamins, antioxidants and botanicals such as willow bar extract, aloe, chamomile and kudzu root extract to soothe, soften lines and firm skin.
3. Dr.Jart+ Pore Minimalist Mask ($7.50) — Charcoal detoxifies skin, clay helps control sebum production and arginine keeps pores clear in this black colored sheet mask.
4. Sephora Pomegranate Mask ($6) — Sephora makes affordable sheet masks that target a variety of issues. This pomegranate mask helps energize skin with antioxidant rich properties and helps reduce the signs of fatigue.
5. Dolce & Gabbana Aurealux Mask ($169 for six) — This mask revives dry, dull skin with Gold Flavo-silk Tricomplex containing gold sericin, Italian olive oil extract and vitamin B3. With continued use, skin with appear more even and firmer.
6. SK-II Facial Treatment Mask ($17) — This cotton sheet contains Pitera, the brand’s exclusive complex, which is full of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and organic acids, to bring intense moisture to the skin, leaving it more dewy and radiant.
7. Amore Pacific Luminous Effect Brightening Masque ($120 for six) — Each mask contains potent Asian botanicals such as ginko leaf and milk thistle to help inhibit melanin production, brighten skin, soothe inflammation and add moisture.
Photo taken by Vix Walker