Lauren Zeifman, Cosmetic Dermatology Practioner, PA-C and founder of Park Avenue Skin Solutions, knows what women want when it comes to looking and feeling their best. At her practice on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, Zeifman takes a mindful approach to beauty and focuses on positive ways to address skin and aging woes, making her one of the most sought after skin experts in NYC. Here we talk to Zeifman about her favorite cosmetic procedures, how she stays so fit and what products she swears by to help fight the signs of aging.
1. What is the average age of your patients and what are their main concerns?
My patients range in age from 25-75, but the median age is closer to mid-30s to early 40s. Their primary concern is keeping and maintaining beautiful skin. It’s no longer just getting a manicure, pedicure, laser and waxing—Botox, injectables, and laser procedures are the upstream solutions to staying and looking young for any discerning patient that I see.
2. What new developments/treatments are you excited to implement at your practice?
The Lumecca and the Fractora lasers are the newest generation of non-ablative and ablative laser technology. They address various skin conditions such as sun damage, hyper-pigmentation, broken capillaries, melasma, acne, acne scarring, rosacea, stretch marks, fine lines, wrinkles and skin laxity. My favorite new injectable is Voluma by Allergan, which is for mid-face volume. I love creating cheekbones with it because it gives an instant lift to the mid-face and is also great for adding fullness to the apple of the cheek.
3. What is your signature procedure?
I don’t have a signature procedure. I create different dermal cocktails after identifying short- and long-term goals with each individual patient. My general philosophy is less is more and I always try to communicate my belief in abandoning perfection.
4. What do you love about what you do?
Being able to give my patients the external tools to look good, feel confident, and have beautiful radiant skin. But I always remind my patients that it’s the internal qualities that matter most. My motto is: “Beauty comes from within and we’ll take care of the rest!”
5. Do you think diet plays a role in the way we age and the way our skin looks?
Diet and nutrition are directly correlated to skin health and can play a significant role in determining whether we will age gracefully. I encourage patients to stay away from sugar, dairy, and gluten, which I realize for many can be tough, but is something to be mindful about. I also believe in a holistic approach to skincare and making sure you have enough MEDS (Meditation, Exercise, Diet and Sleep) to live a balanced life.
6. You are super-fit. Do you have a favorite workout?
I am addicted to yoga and even more so sweating! I particularly enjoy hot power vinyasa yoga, which hydrates the skin and rids the body of toxins that contribute to bad skin. I’ve been practicing yoga for over twelve years and not only is it a way to keep my physique, but is also a powerful mechanism to gain mental clarity, emotional balance and to practice self-acceptance.
7. What are your must-have products for keeping skin young and healthy?
I am surprisingly not a product junkie and carry various lines of products in my office that are clinically effective. Here are a few I swear by:
1. “Many of my patients use a topical retinoid, which is a form of Vitamin A. My favorite is Tazorac (by prescription only) to increase cell turnover and cell renewal.”
2. “Sunscreen is a must 365 days a year. Glycolix Elite 30 contains zinc, which is anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial, so it’s great for all skin types and won’t clog pores.”
3. “Neurotoxins such as Botox or Dysport have become a staple in my patient’s normal facial maintenance (except in women who are pregnant and nursing). It was once used just for the treatment of wrinkles, but now it is used to prevent them as well.”
4. “The skin under and around the eyes is very thin and delicate and therefore more susceptible to discoloration, crepiness, fine lines, and wrinkles. Revision’s Teamine Eye Complex has a yummy mix of vitamin C, grape seed oil, green tea extract, and peptides to tackle a variety of those issues.”photo courtesty of Keziban Barry