Aussie expact Tim Nolan, master stylist and colorist at Ion Studio in New York City, is responsible for giving some of the most stylish New Yorkers that modern, chic, effortless look. We talk to Tim on how to keep hair looking healthy, young and gorgeous as well as how to get the most out of your relationship with your stylist.
What is your haircut aesthetic?
It’s more about figuring out each clients personal style and tailoring it to them.
Short hair has been having a moment. Are you seeing this cut with all ages?
I would say we’re having a shoulder length moment right now, which can compliment women of all ages. We are seeing a more relaxed, disheveled look, which makes a nice change from the long curling iron look that’s been around for so long.
As you age, do you think hair should be shorter?
Making the decision to cut your hair should be based on the condition of the hair rather then your age. If hair is over-processed, thin and lacking in shine then it’s probably time to visit your stylist. Long hair that is fried and chemically-processed will always age you.
Do you have a favorite celeb hair crush?
Model Freja Beha Erichsen and Alexa Chung. I love that the hair is not too styled, but it’s a cool cut.
What do you love about cutting and coloring hair?
I really love the creative aspect and having a vision and working toward that. I also love making someone feel beautiful and confident.
What is the best way to communicate with your stylist?
The key to a good haircut aside from seeing someone talented is good communication. Bring whatever you think will be helpful to relay your ideas to your stylist. Once, I had a client bring me a photo of her cat as a color reference, which at first I thought was a little strange, but in the end it really helped me gain a full understanding of what she was after.
Here are Tim’s tried-and-true products to keep hair healthy and looking cool and effortless.
1. Davines OI/All In One Milk ––Works like a serum and is not at all oily. This penetrates the hair and seals it up properly.
2. Oribe Crème For Style — This is a good all-around protect. It’s quite mattifying and great to put hair up in a slick ponytail, to get rid of flyaways and used to add a little bit texture.
3. Davines Finest Pigment Gloss —This is all natural and adds loads of shine to hair.
4. Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray — The most important product ever. I love the smell and how this makes hair feels great.
5. Redken Full Frame 07 — I awalys have this on hand. I add it to the roots and blow dry for a little bit of texture and volume.